Thursday, May 02, 2019

My first job & I



2008. It's the golden time where I've completed my necessary studies, plus additional one. I'm fresh and felt prepared.

I applied employment from few companies in the capital city as to follow the mainstream trend. As if other places in Malaysia doesn't exist. I was a city girl.

But working life is not a bed of roses. You'll encounter bosses & clients, bills as well as self longing of holidays. Due dates are one of the horror working in tight scheduled projects. Yet, I was able to fulfill the duties.

I've been working for a while prior to my master's degree, but I faintly remember the details from that office. The experience is a little insignificant.

I went for few interviews and finally landed on the job as a sofware engineer in my dream company.

A bit unreal I say just because it felt too good to be true. That was my first achievement as a working class citizen.

So then, that was the pin point where I started to earn. For real. I did some part timers last time but nothing compares to this.

I may be prepared intellectually but there's more to it. Office politics. Rule of thumb, if you never stands in anybody's way you are stealthed. Depends on how you want to take it. There's good & bad.

Another thing if you are pretty, men especially will open the door for you, 'belanja' lunch/dinner and help you with your work. They just won't mind until you boldly rejects them.

The other thing is there's so many, many acronyms to remember! FRS, NAP, XML, ASN.1, OSS, CDR, ATM, and so on. I can never remember all. 😭😭😭

Apart from that, I quite enjoy the experience and I learnt a lot of the telco business and the technology. I started to work with international users.

I also love the friends I made there. Since the office is located next to Uptown food court so we usually went there for lunch and sometimes dinner whenever I stay late, which is quite often.

I still do contact few of my ex-colleagues from that company and each of them has upgraded themselves in their career. Oh! How I miss our late night chats and 'lepak' moments.

10 years has passed, I no longer remain to work as the same role as I've been before. Still within IT domain, but now I'm focusing on testing.

Some how my first job brings me to where I am today. Just be happy with what you have while working on what you want.

Courtesy:
https://blogs.sap.com/2016/09/12/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-programmer/

~:: Failure is when you stop trying ::~

4 comments:

Khairul Mukmin said...

nice

Unknown said...

My entire life, MAS was the longest employer i had. The rest, 2 to 3 years i will jump ship.

Keep on writing sis, i enjoyed it.

-- δεⁿδε£iòñ -- said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
-- δεⁿδε£iòñ -- said...

Thanks!