Sunday, June 02, 2019

Minggu 3 Artikel 1: Chole Bhature, a Northern Indian Recipe

I love pulses based dishes, specially chickpeas. So for tonight's sahur I'm preparing chole bhature. A long forgotten recipe I learnt during my studies in Hyderabad.

I still doesn't know on how to make the bread, which is super nice. So I resorted to off-the-shelf naan bread instead. Italian bread is fine too. 😉

If I'm in the mood of kneading and rolling the dough (which is meticulous for me) I'll make them. Taste better as it is fresh and you got to spread ghee while hot.

 Basic ingredients in Indian cooking are;
🔸Rose onions, a lot of them
🔸Garlic & ginger (ginger always doubled than garlic)
🔸Tomatoes
🔸Tumeric, cumin, coriander, masala
🔸Green chillies Preparing the masala;
🔸Fry dry with small heat cinnamon, cardamom, star anise, mustard seed, fenugreek, cumin, white pepper corn, fennel seeds and if you have bay leaf can add it. Well i don't have it now so I skip that.
🔸After airing it for a while blend. Most people will sieve it but I didn't.
🔸There's no one way of doing it. Free & easy recipe.

 Preparing the ingredients;
🔸Slice rose onions to your liking.
🔸Chopped tomatoes, ginger & garlic.
🔸Pressure cook chickpea & keep the water, if you are lazy like me just get the one in tin. The dry chickpea need to be soften before cooking.
🔸Wash the sweetpea.
🔸I like to add spring onion and coriander stalks. The harder bottom one with its roots.
🔸For turmeric, I use fresh one from my garden and mash is together with chilli.

 Cooking; 
🔸Fry with small fire the rose onions.
🔸Add chopped garlic & ginger.
🔸When the onions are golden brown, add turmeric & chilli.
🔸Cook the turmeric for a little while and add curry leaves, coriander & cumin powder.
🔸Add garam masala.
🔸At this point you can add water and the spring onions & coriander root stalks.
🔸 Put chopped potatoes if you like and boil until the potatoes half cooked. If not skip to next step.
🔸Add chole (chickpea) and sweetpea.
🔸Add 3/4 cup of greek yogurt, leave to boil until the sauce thicken.
🔸Add salt to your liking and garnish with the soft part of spring onions & coriander leaves.


There you have it, your own version of original resipe of chole bhature. Tasty!!


Ingredients
Chole Bhathure eaten with Naan bread





~:: Failure is when you stop trying ::~

No comments: